Why does a child eat badly? How can you help?
Many parents consider that their child eats without appetite because he/she does not like the taste of food. However, the reasons may lie much deeper.
Sometimes children’s interest in food is lost due to parental influence. They themselves willfully or unknowingly deprive the child of his appetite.
- Parents believe that a kid doesn’t eat enough and start feeding him/her by force. Then any meal turns into agony for the child
- The child is forced to eat whatever is left on the plate. Parents don’t take into account what kid has already eaten
- The child is punished by deprivation of food or, on the contrary, is forced to eat what the parents deem necessary
- There is a cult of food in the family. The child feels that issues related to nutrition are always put above his/her needs and requirements
- Food does not match the needs of the child’s body: for example, too salty or spicy
- Sometimes, by refusing to eat, the child protests against what he/she is forced to do. For example, he/she doesn’t want to go to a hobby group that Mom really likes. But he can’t admit it openly
This parenting behavior can lead to a serious kid’s eating disorder. Therefore, it is necessary to quickly identify the reason for mental discomfort and eliminate it as soon as possible.
Right eating habits
If you want your child to have the right food habits, show him/her an example:
- Stick to the daily routine, alternate physical activity, rest and meal breaks;
- Eliminate harmful foods and fast food from your diet;
- Create a comfortable atmosphere during meals: conflicts and unpleasant news are better to discuss later;
- Tell your child what nutrients are in the food and how it can improve health;
- Don’t watch TV during eating – it prevents you from assessing the quantity and quality of food you’ve eaten;
- Eat healthy snacks between meals that boost your child’s appetite;
- Don’t punish a child for not eating the full portion.
Your child should feel your love, no matter how much he/she eats. And a good appetite can always be stimulated by playing on the court, running in the park or just walking down the boulevard with Mom or Dad. It is important to form the right eating habits since early childhood. But a high-quality diet for this is not enough x – parenting care and love are still needed.