When is bring your kid to work?
Over time, parents have a problem where to take their child and where to get the perfect nanny?
Kids are great, of course, but the money will not earn itself. We are used to the fact that many women stay at home with their children, and family fathers disappear from work and put food on the table. But more and more women are willing to combine the process of raising children with their careers. And it really sounds cool! We decided to learn more about is it legal to bring your child to work? And what are the pros and cons of bringing a baby to work?
When is bringing your kid to work? – How it all started
Of course, the very fact of a child’s presence in the office or other workspace does not seem to be a real thought. Mothers always think only about their babies and don’t interfere with the work of all other employees. Well, it will be difficult to focus on the working moments while your child is away from you for a couple of meters.
This is especially true for moms who have hyperactive and restless children. Let’s see what the experience of some progressive companies says.
If you have no one to leave the child with – take your kids to work!
If you think that in the last century people didn’t have similar problems and didn’t think about bringing kids to work – then you are wrong.
Back in 1993, the American Women’s Support Foundation – “Ms. Foundation for Women” offered an annual action “bringing children to work”. However, at first, mothers could only take their daughters to work. This action was held on the fourth Thursday of April every year.
Only 10 years later, the society raised the issue of boys/sons also taking part in this action and eventually it became known as “Take your daughters and sons to work”. The essence of this action is to show children who their parents work, where they go for the whole day, and what they do during the working day. In this way, children formed a concept of certain types of professional activities and how they can earn money.
You can remember or Googling a vivid example when journalists brought their children to do interviews at the White House with Donald Trump (it was in 2018). The guys themselves could ask questions to the president and talk to the main representative of their home country.
The Canadian experience. “I can’t leave my child with anyone” is not the only reason why you can bring your kids to work. Helping your child choose their future profession is a great excuse to take a son or daughter to work. This event is held every year on the third Wednesday of the last month of autumn. Most often these are older children who study in grades 9-11. They can come to work not only with their parents, but also with their close relatives, friends of parents, or their native uncles and aunts. It all depends on what a graduate wants to be.
Can I bring my child to work with me?
This is a question for Bright Horizons employees who manage corporate kinder gardens for companies around the world. According to their data, 84% of applicants choose a place of work where it is possible to leave their child in the children’s room or where a special institution for their children is organized.
If a company is progressive and thinks about the comfort and productivity of its employees, then such a moment as the right to take a child to work and flexible hours is another huge plus.
Not all moms and dads are ready to work like this, but for more than half it is a chance to do everything without sacrificing the family budget and without thinking that “I am a bad parent”.
Bringing your child to work – the main rules/pieces of advice
- Discuss the rules of your work with your child before bringing him or her to the team (also, of course, warn your staff). Tell them where they can run, what they can touch, and how loud they can talk. Choose your favorite toys and take them with you. Tell that your baby is also a very important employee on which the success of the company depends!
- It all depends on how old your child is. If you have a child who is 3-4 years old, it is best to take them to work when you have the opportunity to leave them in a playroom or corporate kindergarten.
- If we are talking about older children – 6-9 years old, then here you can already talk in more detail about your workplace. To show the specifics of your work (especially if you have physical labor), the child will be interested and pleased to know that he is an important assistant.
- For young teenagers (13-14 years old) everything you do will be interesting, especially if your work is related to what your son/daughter taught and did at school. They will also be interested in learning about the history of the company, other professions, and it is possible to communicate with other employees.
- Let your child understand that it is more important than the job, don’t ignore him or her. Explain that you need to be focused during work and that it is very important for you that your child behaves calmly and doesn’t break discipline.
- We glad you liked reading our article about babies, tell us why!
- We couldn't help you but you can! Please, share your thoughts!