What to do if a teen sits behind the computer the whole day?
Unlike us, children of 21 century meet the computer immediately after birth. Even the youngest ones are already watching special baby cartoons or development syllabus. The older the children become, the more he (she) looks at the screen, and with the beginning of school, there is a need to buy their own device. At least, they could do the lessons, not particularly imposing the parents.
Computer addiction is a reason for parents to think about why a teen feels unprotected, perhaps to reconsider the usual relationship in the family. There is a possibility that someone is suppressing his authority, why the teenager has a sense of subordination, the uselessness of attempts to assert themselves in reality.
It will be useful to weaken parental control and make it clear that the child’s opinion can be heard. Even a small area of personal responsibility can turn the tide in favor of real life, of course, only if the child has an interest in the result.
By assigning, preparing the dishes or taking out the garbage, you. The best way to keep a teenager away from games is to give him a taste of real victory, in which he has invested real labor.
What is the harm that computer causes?
Besides, the addiction doctors and psychologists argue that the computer is a bad influence on health. But what is the harm? Let’s get this over with.
- dry eyes;
- no appetite or desire to eat sitting at the computer;
- sleep disturbance;
- bad posture;
- impatience and anticipation of the moment when he/she can sit at the computer;
- lack of control over the time spent at the computer;
- the desire to increase the time spent in the game or network, sitting for 24 hours;
- the appearance of irritation, anger, apathy;
- inability to occupy themselves when they are not able to play or network;
- difficulty communicating with relatives or at school.
Computer addiction arises as a result of discomfort in reality or psychological trauma but is increasingly becoming an independent problem that in some cases requires specialist intervention.
The main reasons why your child hangs out in front of the computer screen all day long
Firstly, if you don’t spend time with the child: haven’t been talking much or don’t interest in his/her life, what your teen really interested in and worried about. So, the probability of going into the virtual world increases dramatically.
Ask yourself: Are you interested in your child as much as possible?
Perhaps you are very busy with work, some other problems, and your son or daughter doesn’t feel the necessary amount of attention to himself.
Show that real communication, care and love are here in the real world, not in the virtual one.
Secondly, if the child has a serious hobby or some interesting activity, he/she won’t be able to sit at the computer for hours.
By depriving a child of the opportunity to play for hours on the Internet, we must offer him an alternative!
The child must be involved in some activities. Everything must be planned so that there is no free minute. Joint business, different games, holidays, trips to museums, theaters, parks, travel, communication with interesting interlocutors, etc.
For example, if a boy and daddy made a shelf all day on the weekend from morning to evening or a birdhouse, then when to play computer games?
The third reason – it’s a teen’s inability to make desirable contacts with others, lack of friends.
Questions to you
Do you make it possible for your teen to have friends? Will your teens be withdrawn or sociable, friendly or aggressive? If a child is not satisfied with the relationship with his peers, if he doesn’t have good friends and hobbies, if the child has low self-esteem, no success in any area. He may well fall into dependence on computer games, where he is the main character, he is on top of success, he is the winner, the ruler, the first destroyer or creator, in general, where he is the first.
In the fourth, the children imitate each other. Others play, and he/she plays. The desire to be the same as classmates, keep up with them, too, maybe the root cause of an exorbitant passion for computer games.
We don’t recommend you ban your child from playing at all. It is simply necessary to restrict your teen to stay at the computer. Children should not be allowed to play for several hours.
In addition, it is necessary to restrict children’s access to games and movies based on violence. You should delve into a teen game by dividing up their interests. This will bring you closer, increase your confidence in you.
On the other hand, you will know what your teen is playing. You can always say your firm position for the game or against it.
It’s also important to have a parent’s personal example. If you allow your child to play for some time per day, you shouldn’t sit at the computer for hours on social networking sites!
And finally, teach your teen to set goals and achieve them in real life!
Think together about who he or she will be in the future, what he/she will do, and what he or she should start doing now to achieve this. Give preference to educational games and sites. Discuss with your child those games in which you think it would be more useful to play.
So, our summary and pieces of advice to you on how to limit computer time
- Communicate more with your child.
- Do something physical with him/her, do arts and crafts.
- Keep the child in contact with peers: their outdoor games, common hobbies (without a computer).
- Use the computer as a reward, for effective parenting, as an encouragement.
- Play along with your child. During the game, communicate, talk – so you will conquer the lost communication with the child. This is how you will slowly restore communication.
- Help your child find a hobby so that interests in the real world can arise. Show that the real world has a lot of interesting things to do that are much more useful than a computer. Finally, I want to say that there is no point in criticizing a child who spends too much time at the computer without offering anything in return. It’ll make him angry and alienate him even more from you.
And most importantly: try to inculcate the idea that the computer is just a tool, one of many invented by humans.