It is possible! Teach your child to sleep well throughout the night with gentle training
Most mothers monitor the health of their children, so they do everything possible to ensure that the baby feels great, eats the right food, and develops. At night, mothers also help children if they are hungry or want to use the toilet. But not everyone knows that such night wakes can also badly affect the health of the child, or even the parents.
For the child to be able to sleep at night without waking up, it is worth conducting special training with him that will help with this matter. But before proceeding directly to the lessons themselves, it is worth understanding what it is and why it is needed.
What is sleep training?
Baby sleep training helps your baby to build a comfortable and appropriate sleep pattern so that he sleeps peacefully all night and doesn’t wake up. This is necessary not only for the child but also for the parents, especially if at least one of them works or gets up early.
But what happens if a child, already at an older age, wakes up in the middle of the night? Scientists from around the world have found the optimal amount of sleep time that every child needs:
- at the age of 4-12 months, the baby needs 12-16 hours a day (this includes naps);
- at 1-2 years old, he needs 11-14 hours of proper healthy sleep;
- at 3-5 years old, the child needs 10-13 good sleep a day.
If during a night’s sleep, the child wakes up, this may be reflected in the fact that he will become more and more capricious and disobedient. In addition, it delays the normal development of the child, decreases concentration, and contributes to the obesity of the child later in life. It is also common for those children who don’t get the right amount of sleep may study poorly.
For the mother, this can cause long-term postpartum depression, lack of sleep, aggression, and constant fatigue.
Yes! As you can see, healthy sleep is important to avoid many problems in the future. Therefore, every mother needs to know how to sleep train a baby and how long does it take to sleep train.
Sleep training: how long does it take?
Such special training for the child should last until he learns to sleep at midnight all night so that he doesn’t need the help of his parents. It can take as much as 1 week or several months. This mainly depends on the character of the baby, as well as on the patience of the mother, because this moment may not be very pleasant for her, although it is really needed.
Here we also want to note when to start sleep training. There is no specific age at which to start doing this. It all depends on how ready the baby is for such serious changes. Therefore, it is impossible to say exactly what age to start sleep training. In this case, you should consult with the pediatrician exactly at the expense of your child.
Infant sleep training methods
There are some basic tips for teaching a baby to sleep through the night. Before you start training your child, ask your pediatrician about how to fix some problems that usually occur at night. It is also advisable to send this article to your spouse so that both of you know about the technique that you will use in the future. Here are a few sleep training basics:
- Withering technique. Here, parents should help their child fall asleep with the help of calming techniques. For example, feeding, swinging in a bed, carriage, or just on the hands, reading fairy tales, singing lullabies, and more. It is clear that with age the child won’t need a lot of help from the parents and teaching a baby to sleep will no longer be required. But the main thing will be to start getting used to the new sleep system.
- Ferber’s method. Here, the main task of parents is to look after the child while he is crying, each time increasing the time between watching him. In this way, the baby will learn to calm himself and fall asleep on his own.
- Raise/lower technique. Here, parents should take the child in their arms every time he starts crying, and immediately after he calms down – go back to bed. This should be done until the baby falls asleep.
- Screaming technique. This isn’t a very pleasant technique, but it works. Parents don’t have to do anything here. Even if a child wakes up at night and cries, he doesn’t need to be calmed and come to him. He must calm down on his own and go to bed. But in order to control that everything is fine with the child, you need to install a camera in his room through which the parents can see if everything is okay with him.
- Chair technique. Parents should put a chair near the child’s bed and stay close to them until they fall asleep. Here you need to overcome yourself and not calm him down if he starts tossing and turning or crying. The child must calm down himself. Then, every night, you need to put the chair about half a meter or a meter away from the bed until the chair is completely out of his room.
Here are a few more important aspects to help your child sleep well at night.
- Start keeping a sleep log. This way you can better track your baby’s sleep harm. For example, if at 7 pm he tosses and cries – this is the time to go to bed.
- Bedtime rituals. Performing several rituals before bedtime, the child will eventually realize that soon he will need to go to bed, so he will already be preparing for it. Rituals include listening to calm music, bathing, singing a lullaby, and more. But in no case should you turn on loud music, watch TV or play games on gadgets.
- Decide on a date to start training. A suitable date can be any day, next to which there were not and won’t be in the near future, those moments when the regime could get lost, for example, holidays or trips.
Thanks for reading! We hope our tips will help you and your baby sleep well at night.
- We glad you liked reading our article about babies, tell us why!
- We couldn't help you but you can! Please, share your thoughts!