Why Start Elimination Communication with a Newborn? How to Do It Correctly?
Many parents are faced with diapers, but is there any alternative to this? Yes, this is EC method potty training. Every year this is practiced more and more often by young parents, but still, not everyone knows what it is. Today in the article we will tell you in detail about why to start eliminating communication with a newborn and other details about this, which will soon be useful to you.
What Is Elimination Communication?
EC training, also known as natural baby hygiene, is based on the idea of detecting the natural timing and cues of the baby to understand his need to defecate and urinate. Once the parents can identify these signals, they can coordinate the baby’s bowel movements in the toilet rather than in the diaper. It should be understood that this isn’t a child’s education. It’s about how parents learn and use clues to determine when babies want relief.
On the other hand, potty training involves teaching children how to use the toilet. It starts when the child is old enough to be put away to the toilet without diapers. Babies are usually potty-trained after they are two years old. Some experts recommend EC before potty training so that the child gets used to the new environment.
When and How to Start Elimination Communication?
Surely now you are worried about when you can start eliminating communication. In fact, there is no specific time to move to EC, because it all depends on how the parents themselves decide. Some begin to practice this at 7-9 months, while others much later. Also, parents should choose everything so that they can observe the child’s behavior after eating and walking. Some can spend the whole day on this, while the rest can spend half a day (but the same embarrassment arises). Let’s now talk about some tips on how to do elimination communication:
Start with Monitoring
Place your baby without a diaper on a waterproof mat, so you can start learning his cues. Some children calm down shortly after eating or after waking up. Pay attention to your child’s natural potty activities. This is a great way to help babies recognize their own signals.
Enter Elimination Communication Signals
When you see your baby calming down, enter audible cues, such as a “hmm” sound for urine and poop. Babies would begin to recognize these sounds and associate them with their favorite time. Some babies are prompted only by sitting on the potty mat and moving to the caregiver.
Keep the Pot Near
Sometimes babies misinterpret signals and cannot defecate. So stay with them near the toilet or keep a portable potty handy.
Carry Your Baby
Keep your child in a comfortable position or close to him to understand his behavior. Babies usually have a red face or experience discomfort before having a bowel movement.
Elimination Communication Benefits
Yes, this method does have many advantages, which are noted by many parents who have been using it for a long time, as well as those who are new to it. Among the main ones, the following can and should be distinguished:
- Lack of irritation and rashes on the skin. This often happens when wearing diapers, which requires additional care to remove redness and breakouts. And when using the EC method, such problems won’t arise at all. Accordingly, the child would be calmer and happier.
- Less need for diapers. Diapers are only needed when you teach your child to do all this. Plus, there would be less waste and less money to spend. Also, it won’t do much harm to the environment, and at least it won’t make your home dirty.
- Saving money. Besides the fact that you would buy fewer diapers, you won’t need to buy any remedies to care for the treatment of irritations. You would only need to spend on a small number of diapers, as well as a pot.
- Improving the bond between mom and baby. The mother would be able to better understand the various signals of the child when he needs something and what is bothering him. This way you can help him in time so that he gets less stress.
- The transition to the pot would be easier. As we said above, you don’t teach your child to potty using EC, but still, the child gets used to this new place for a bowel movement. Based on this, at the stage when you would completely switch to the potty, the child would be able to quickly learn this and get used to it.
- Less hassle for parents. You would spend less time constantly changing diapers, disposing of waste, and more.
- More comfort for the baby. Often, babies can continue to lie with a full diaper, which creates even more discomfort and an unpleasant smell around them. With EC, there would be no such problems, because the child just immediately gets rid of his waste
Dangers of Elimination Communication
And it is clear that, as in any method of defecating your baby, there are elimination communication criticisms, but they are much less than positive qualities.
- Waste of time. Initially, EC training can take a long time. Each parent may not have enough time to spend the first two years of life with their child. Some parents cannot deny the offer of comfy diapers.
- Lack of comfort. EC is best to practice from the comfort of your home so that you know your baby’s time, recognize cues or use a specific area or toilet to get your baby out for a bowel movement. The child may feel uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Mess and dirt. Learn to understand the inevitable mistakes that would occur when recognizing the child’s signals. From time to time, you may come across a soiled diaper.
Now you know everything about elimination communication origins, which you can now apply in the life of your kid. We want to warn you again that not everything will start working out right away, and this is normal. It’s just that at this moment the main thing isn’t to get upset but to continue teaching the child new things. We are sure that baby elimination communication would give you a lot. Do you agree with our opinion?
- We glad you liked reading our article about babies, tell us why!
- We couldn't help you but you can! Please, share your thoughts!