Best Rattles for Babies: What Should Baby’s First Rattle Be?
Websites are full of recommendations about what games and what toys are best for young children.
Why Baby Rattles?
But when reading all this, you should keep in mind that the first task of almost any store is to sell as many toys as possible. Some of them may never turn the attention to a small child. And some — will be suitable for older age, because they are too complicated for a small baby.
It’s hard to imagine the full development of a baby without toys — they accompany it throughout his growing up and help the baby learn about the world. But none of them is as popular as the baby rattles toys, which newborns play with for more than four thousand years. Rattles for baby are one of the very first baby toys. It teaches your baby to perceive information not only visually, but also aurally, stimulating the psycho-emotional and overall physical development of the child. That is why you should be very careful when choosing such children’s accessories, as baby boy rattles. The best baby rattles must be made of high-quality and safe material. How to choose a rattle for a newborn? Let’s figure it out!
At What Age Does Your Baby Need a Baby Toys Rattle?
When there is a firstborn in the family, parents ask: at what age should we give it a newborn baby rattle? This type of toy is considered the first in the life of the child, so there are no restrictions. But a newborn child can not hold a rattle, at first it will touch it, learn the details, listen to the sounds that the baby toy rattle makes in its hands. When the baby begins to hold a soft baby rattle by itself, the toy fully performs its developmental functions.
What Do Plastic Baby Rattles Develop?
The popularity of baby hand and foot rattles is not accidental, with the apparent simplicity of this subject, it stimulates almost all organs of perception, develops fine motor skills, and teaches your child to think logically. An infant up to two months old follows with the eyes of the small baby rattle in his parents’ hands, attracted by the noise it makes and its bright appearance. This develops vision, perception of sounds in space and attention, and teaches your baby to concentrate. The baby from 2 to 6 months is no longer just looking at the candy baby rattle but is trying to grab it, pulling it toward itself, training its coordination. Squeezing plush baby rattles in the palm of its hand, a baby learns to control its fingers and develops still weak muscles.
The child from six months already easily holds the wood-turned baby rattles in its hands and pulls it into the mouth, developing the organs of taste. During this period, you should buy a new rattle more often to give him the opportunity to explore different textures. There are even rattles in the form of food, such as the Oreo baby rattles.
Basic Rules for Using Rattles for Baby
Everyone knows how babies love to pull toys into their mouths. No one can avoid this natural process of cognition of the environment, so the question arises: how to wash old baby rattles? The easiest way is to wash them in the sink with soap and warm water. This way you can clean any plastic, silicone, rubber, and latex rattles, as well as wash the cloth baby rattles. Exceptions — vintage plastic baby rattles and toys with mechanical or electronic units, which can not be wet with water. Some toys are marked with a sign that means they can be washed in the dishwasher. Do not wash vintage baby rattles every day, just do it in case of emergency.
Wooden baby rattles should not be washed. Water will ruin the material, and after drying it will bloat or crack. Use wet disinfectant wipes or safe sprays for pacifiers, which you can find in children’s stores.
What to Look for When Choosing a Unique Baby Rattle?
Looking through the best rattles for babies, you can get lost in their variety, because almost every manufacturer of goods for babies includes them in their range. You can even find luxury Tiffany baby rattles, gold, and sterling silver baby rattles! However, let’s describe more basic ones, but not the Tiffany silver baby rattles.
When buying rattles for a newborn baby, you should be guided by the basic recommendations for their selection:
- do not buy products made of cheap plastic or without labeling at all (low-quality plastic can emit toxic substances, such as formaldehyde);
- pay attention to toys, resistant to mechanical damage (fragile items can break and injure the baby);
- double-check the absence of sharp corners and flimsy seams to reduce the risk of injury to the child;
- remember that bright (not acidic!) shades and colors will attract a baby’s attention;
- a variety of surface textures promotes the development of tactile sensations in the baby;
- you can try to make a DIY baby rattle, but make sure it will not be dangerous for your child;
- an abundance of small parts will positively affect a child’s development, but they must be securely attached to the rattle base to eliminate the risk of inadvertent swallowing
- the filler is of great importance;
- there is no difference between a baby boy and baby girl rattles;
- do not buy bulk baby rattles, as a baby will not be able to hold them.
Types of Target Baby Rattles
To begin with, it’s worth sorting out what kinds of rattles you can find:
- Classic rattles make sounds when shaking: rustling, ringing, rattling or squeaking. There are models with one handle, a handlebar between the two parts of the toy, and no handle at all – in the form of an egg, ball, disk, etc. There are animal baby rattles, rattles in form of food, yellow, blue, and green baby rattles. The handle is needed for very small babies because children later learn the plucking grip to hold flat and round objects.
- Suspenders — rattles, which are set over the cradle or crib – are ideal for newborns. They can safely be used outdoors because the mount will not let the toy get lost. This is important in case if you have an antique baby rattle or the above-mentioned silver plated baby rattles.
- Baby wrist and ankle rattles with jingling elements are put on the baby’s arm or leg, encouraging him to reach for the toy and move. These wrist rattles for baby and baby socks with rattles are useful for developing muscles and body skills.
- Rattles with teething elements with ribbed surfaces are the best choice for babies from 4 months of age when their teeth start to grow.
- Baby plush rattles develop tactile perception, especially if they are made from several types of textiles. The rustles or squeakers in the toy make sounds when they interact. Play with such a rattle is recommended in the presence of parents, as the child may bite the fabric, and the filler will get into the mouth. There are also cloth baby wrist rattles and fabric foot rattles for the baby.
- The ring with moving parts is designed for children from six months old when the child can already hold the blue baby rattles independently and move the elements with the help of fingers. Such a model of rattles is useful for motor skills and forms tactile perception.
- The baby shower rattles, which are water-resistant. They are perfect friends for your child during the bathing procedures.
We hope our article will help you choose a rattle for your baby that will please and amuse him with its sound.
- We glad you liked reading our article about babies, tell us why!
- We couldn't help you but you can! Please, share your thoughts!