5-Month-Old Baby Developmental Milestones: Basic Details of Infant Development
Several months passed unnoticed, the baby is growing by leaps and bounds, now the five-month-old baby is almost twice as large as immediately after birth. Not only the baby himself is growing but also their whole world. He becomes interested in complex shapes and patterns and even babbles something, trying to start a conversation with you. Get ready this month to watch the growth and development of the baby with joy, and now we will tell you about what a 5-month-old baby does, and other stages of development.
5-Month-Old Baby Development
This is a serious and responsible period in the life of parents. The child at 5 months is very active. He sleeps less, becomes fidgety, pulls himself up on their arms on his own, and, pushing off with their legs, tries to move forward a little.
A 5-month-old baby emotionally reacts to changes in the world around him, recognizes family faces, voices well, and keeps an interested eye on various objects and pictures. He shows character, he sets his own rules for walking, sleeping, and eating. Mothers can only react to these changes, adapt to them, and make sure that the development of the child at 5 months corresponds to the standards established by pediatricians.
What to Expect from a 5-Month-Old Baby?
Among the main 5-month-old milestones that should already be achieved (at a normal speed and degree of development of the child as a whole), the following points can be highlighted:
- Sits with support;
- Reacts to sounds;
- Recognizes familiar faces;
- Curious about stationary objects;
- Bends the legs while lying on the tummy;
- Emits several consonants;
- Begins to roll over from back to the tummy;
- Communicates using basic expressions;
- The tongue is more sensitive to taste;
- Experiments with root cause and effect.
Now, of course, you need to know which 5-month-old baby milestones should develop in the next month or one and a half. If you want the child to continue to develop further correctly and at a normal rate, then the child needs to be taught to:
- Sits by herself without support;
- Answers his name;
- Tries to communicate with familiar people;
- Tracks moving objects with his eyes;
- Puts weight on legs when held upright;
- Produces repetitive consonant sounds;
- May roll over from back to stomach and back to back;
- Knows how to use sounds together with expressions;
- Shows preference for certain tastes after 6 months;
- Uses cause and effect for more complex actions.
Still, it is worth clarifying that all these points can appear in a baby at different times, and not all at once. Accordingly, it isn’t worth developing all these 5-month milestones at the same time. This is quite a lot of tension. Therefore, it is worth introducing all this gradually in order to achieve the desired result.
What Should a 5-Month-Old Baby Be Eating?
If up to 5 months the main food for the child was mother’s milk or formula, then from the age of five months you can slowly introduce complementary foods. Then how much formula for a 5-month-old baby? Everything would be completely individual. Just remove a small amount of the mixture every one and a half/two weeks. As a rule, if a child isn’t gaining weight well, their diet is supplemented with dairy-free cereals. To introduce the child to new tastes, vegetable complementary foods are introduced – broccoli, zucchini and cauliflower.
There are basic principles to be followed when introducing complementary foods:
- It is better to try a new product in the morning to trackside reactions and the risk of allergies;
- You need to start complementary foods with half a teaspoon a day, gradually increasing the portion;
- The first time a week is added one product. When the baby grows up, this interval can be shortened.
Since the baby is already showing new abilities and capabilities, new techniques are added to the basic positions in caring for them. Their task is to strengthen the physical health of the child, to promote his mental development. It is recommended that you consult with an experienced pediatrician to properly schedule complementary feeding.
5-Month-Old Baby Activities
To understand if everything is fine with the baby, a list of what should be during 5 month baby development will help:
- Frog pose. The fact that the child is normally developing the motor apparatus would be indicated by their favorite posture, which he would increasingly take: tucked legs and a desire to rise on their hands. This is how the baby prepares to master the crawling skill.
- Semi-sitting position. For the time being, the muscular skeleton doesn’t allow the baby to keep the spine in an upright position for a long time. However, the child at 5 months is already trying to move from a horizontal position. At this time, the baby is already trying to get up on their own: grab the sides of the bed or stroller to get up. Make sure that such movements don’t injure the baby. Help him: put the baby in a special chaise lounge or pillows in a semi-sitting position. There is no need to specifically seat the child, even with special support. It’s still very early for that.
- Mastering bipedal locomotion. At 5 months, a child can stand on straight legs for several minutes if adults support them by the arms. There is no need to directly force them to walk every day. Otherwise, the child would deliberately continue to crawl and won’t have the desire to learn to stand up. Therefore, with such activities to do with a 5-month-old baby, you shouldn’t rush, so as not to discourage the child from doing it gradually and independently.
- The grasping reflex was developed, the ability to hold an object in the handle for a long time appeared. A baby at 5 months has amazing tenacity. He can firmly grasp any object and hold it for a long time. So children explore the world, learn the form, learn to independently hold a bottle of mixture or water. Encourage them to do this by handing large objects (cubes, rattles). Avoid prefab items that have small parts. Children at this age are able to choose the toy they like from several suggested ones.
- The ability to distinguish shades of colors. The baby’s vision is still not one hundred percent, but he can distinguish the volume and color of objects at a distant distance and near. Children still react to contrasting colors, but they are already learning to distinguish between colors.
- Bursting. At 5 months, the speech apparatus is already sufficiently developed to produce various sounds. This is called gurgling. The child becomes a nice interlocutor, because he actively responds with a set of sounds to every affectionate word of his parents or grandmothers and grandfathers. So far, they don’t make any sense, but they indicate that the child hears well and reacts emotionally to external stimuli. During this period, children already distinguish between pleasant and harsh sounds. For example, when a car alarm is triggered, the baby may get scared and cry, and the singing of birds or the light rustle of foliage would calm him down.
If you haven’t done this with your baby before, then you should already teach them to do something, but everything is better. The main thing, remember, this must be done gradually, so as not to overload the child. Only in this case, he himself may have a desire to do this.
5-Month-Old Baby Weight
The most important question that moms are interested in is how big is a 5-month-old baby? Increasingly, pediatricians began to record excess weight gain in infants, especially those who are bottle-fed. Therefore, independent control over the weight of the baby, carried out by the parents, won’t be superfluous. Please note that for a 5-month-old baby boy, 6.3-9 kg of weight is considered the norm, and for girls – 5.9-8.8 kg.
The height of the child should be as follows: for boys 2-2.3 ft, and for a 5-month-old baby girl – 1.8-2.2 ft. These indicators depend primarily on heredity.
Daily Routine And Sleep 5-Month-Old Baby
The daily routine of a five-month-old isn’t much different from the previous month of development. It is based on sleep and nutrition. The only thing that changes is the continuity of night sleep and the amount of daytime.
Babies are already sound asleep at night, they can wake up once for feeding. During this period, it is already possible to teach the child to sleep separately. As soon as you see that he begins to fall asleep, but hasn’t yet fallen asleep, put him in the crib. So he would learn to go to bed on his own. Before going to bed at night, be sure to bathe your child in warm water, tell him a story or sing a lullaby.
Daytime sleep will also be reduced to two times: the first short sleep in five-month-old children occurs at 9-10 o’clock in the morning, the second (long) – at lunchtime. However, this moment is individual, because some babies already show the nature of larks, while others like to sleep longer. The time to fall asleep during the day depends on the characteristics of the child’s body.
When Should You Worry?
You should consult your doctor if you notice any of the following problems in your 5-month-old:
- Doesn’t respond to sounds: If a child doesn’t turn her head towards the sound, this could indicate a hearing problem.
- Poor hand and grip control: If the child is too stiff or too flexible and has poor grip, this may indicate a muscle development problem.
- Shows no affection for parents: This may mean cognitive retardation and should be checked immediately by a doctor.
- Very quiet and doesn’t chatter: This can be an early sign of a speech disorder.
- Always reaches with one hand: this may be a sign of developmental delay.
- Crying all night or not laughing: This is also a sign of developmental delay and should be checked immediately by a doctor.
If you notice that you can observe at least one of the above points in your baby, then it is worth solving something with the correct 5-month-old baby developmental milestones.
Tips During a 5-Month Baby Update
- Play games and talk with your child: this helps her develop her speaking and communication skills.
- Give her time for her belly: placing her on her stomach would make her neck, back muscles, and arms stronger, as she would lift her head and neck using her elbows. It also helps develop her vision, as she sees distant objects while lifting her head.
- Place toys directly out of her reach: This would improve her hand-eye coordination as she reaches out and grabs the toys.
- Read the brightly illustrated books to her: this would help your 5-month-old to develop her eyesight and communication skills, as she would love looking at colors and hearing you tell a story.
- Present your children with toys with bright colors and toys that sound interesting: this would help your child to improve their eyesight, hearing and control over their hands.
- Listen to music and sing to your child: children enjoy music. The child would clap, laugh, or babble if you sing to them or read rhymes.
- Letting her meet new people would help their cognitive development and improve their social skills.
Well, we think this information is enough for you to figure out what to do with a 5-month-old baby. We recommend that you consider every aspect of your child’s life and keep them at a normal level so that the child feels good and healthy.
Also, don’t rush and immediately rebuild the child to get used to the new regime, this would cause a lot of stress and can, of course, affect development in general. If you see any other abnormalities, then be sure to tell the doctor about them. If you follow all this, you would understand how quickly your happy baby is growing.
- We glad you liked reading our article about babies, tell us why!
- We couldn't help you but you can! Please, share your thoughts!